Okay, this may get a little ranty.
I’m a pretty health conscious woman.
I don’t have very many vices, except for tea…but I’ll never apologise for that.
I don’t drink alcohol, I don’t smoke and my diet is 90% organic.
But there is one addiction that I just haven’t been able to shake.
Yup, it’s an addiction alright. A compulsion that completely takes over and often thrusts me into a perpetual cycle of “paralysis by analysis”.
I’m also exceptionally good at complicating the eff out of everything! It’s something my man is constantly having to catch me on. My general MO tends to be “why have one step when you could have 46?!”
For example, I’ve been wanting to release a podcast for over six months. In fact, in a fit of frenzied inspiration I came up with and recorded the framework for over 11 months worth of episodes in just 3 days (by using something I call The Consistent Content Creation System™, which I teach to my private clients).
But did I do anything with these episodes? Noooo.
Wanna know why? Because I tricked myself into believing my own perfectionist, overcomplicating bullshit.
To illustrate this, let me give you a glimpse into my typical creative process when it came to the podcast…
It all started with one thought: “the first episode has to be absolutely amazing otherwise I’ll waste my only opportunity to attract subscribers and the whole podcast will fail (meaning I will fail).”
Queue the unfolding paralysing, self-sabotaging spiral of doom:
1. spend weeks going backwards and forwards about the topic for the first episode
2. I couldn’t possibly create a good cover art graphic unless I get a new professional photoshoot
3. well if I’m committing to a photoshoot I should probably lose a kilo or two (never actioned anything in that area either)
4. if I’m doing that I need to get super duper clear on my brand so everything is in palette (queue a few million hours wasted on Canva and stalking brands on Instagram)
5. to know what I’m up against, I should research #allthepodcasts
6. I need my website to be up-to-date before I start directing people to the blog
7. if I’m getting a new website then I need a new freebie to capture leads
8. hmmmm, I wonder if I should record videos for Youtube at the same time as recording the podcast audio. Let me take 2 months to ponder the complexities and intricacies of this additional venture
9. okay, if I’m going to be on camera I really should look at losing 1 or 2 kilos
10. revert back to step 3
11. and if I’m recording videos then I obviously need #onbrand wallpaper to go behind me during filming
12. wait, what is my brand again?
13. revert back to step 4 for another few weeks
14. descend into complete overwhelm and consider binning my entire business
15. go back to bed for a week
16. okay, I have no idea what I’m doing and should really develop a launch plan for the whole thing
17. I can’t make a launch plan without a trip to Officeworks to buy two new whiteboards, a pin board, new markers and a roll of butcher’s paper
18. get home only to realise I forgot the butcher’s paper
19. revert back to step 17
20. start a launch plan
21. fuck me, launch plans are confusing!
22. revert to step 14 for a week or so
23. get my period and convince myself I can’t do anything
24. revert back to step 15
25. have another inspirational outburst and create 9 new podcast topics
26. freak out about how to sequence all this goddamn content!
27. go back to researching #allthepodcasts to see how others in my industry structure their episodes
And that pretty much brings us to today.
Yep. Welcome to the inner workings of my mind. And imagine going through this shit every damn time you do something new in your business!
And the cruel, sick irony of this is that my clients pay me to help sequence, strategise and streamline their own businesses so they can take consistent soul-aligned, heart-centred money and client magnetising action. And I’m damn good at doing that (just for other people’s businesses).
Yah. We teach what we most need to learn #thankscosmicjoke
But you know what absolutely sucks the most about this?
It’s not that I ‘wasted’ so much time (I personally don’t believe we ever ‘waste’ anything).
It’s not that I essentially drove myself to the brink of insanity.
It’s that for six months no one heard my wisdom. Not one woman benefited from my silence. I could have helped someone somewhere create clarity, connect to their own wisdom and shine confidently in their businesses.
I could have put on my big girl pants and shown up, thereby giving another female entrepreneur permission to shine her own radiance and magic into the world.
I could have shared what is true in my heart and inspired someone else to do the same, thereby going on to positively impact the lives of their own clients and so on and so on.
But I didn’t.
I chose silence and nothing changed.
And the same is true for you, . I’m here to tell you that NO ONE benefits from your silence. No one gives a shit about your perfection. People just want to SEE you!
If you’ve got the perfectionist gene like me, know that your tribe need you to get over yourself (and I say that with absolute love) and start sharing who you are. To start shining your magic and getting your message out there.
So yesterday I had a “fuck this” moment and just went for it. And in 10 minutes I whipped up a cover image on Canva.
It’s not perfect. It’s not entirely on brand. I’ve been told the colours don’t match. It’s not even a professional photo. I mean, it’s a selfie I took on my iPhone for Pete’s sake!
But it has my face. It has the podcast name. And that’s enough.
And I might change it at some point. Hell, I might change it tomorrow. But that’s okay too. It’s my business. I call the shots and if I’m afraid to do that then I might as well not be in business.
And tomorrow I’m going to record the first episode.
And I’m going to use the first take, no matter how it turns out.
And then I’m going to launch this bad boy in May.
ESPECIALLY if it’s imperfect.
ESPECIALLY if I feel scared and vulnerable.
ESPECIALLY if I don’t feel ready.
And you know why?
Because that’s EXACTLY how my tribe feel in business. And that’s EXACTLY why they need to listen to this goddamn podcast.
And that’s exactly why I’m doing this frickin business in the first place!
So watch out world! The Aligned Entrepreneur™ Podcast is coming your way in just a few weeks and ain’t nothing (especially my own crazy-ass self) is going to stand in the way!
*drops the mic*
Peace out, woman! I’ve got a podcast to create!